Update on Shelby

Today I recieved a newsletter from Teen Challenge. Featured in the newsletter was the following featured student:

Shelby Dean Slaton
Age: 19
# Siblings: 4

Favorite Sports Team: Cowboys
Favorite Meal: Cheeseburgers
Favorite Author: Rob Bell/Shane Claiborne
Favorite Scripture: "He who dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 91:1)

Brief History: My drug problem started at age 13. Over the years I would suppress my anger over my parents' divorce through the use of more and more drugs. By the time I was 18, I was a chronic drinker and smoker. A day didn't go by that I wasn't getting high on various drugs. I lost all my relationships with my family and hated who I had become. The drugs became my identity and I didn't like that.

My Turning Point: I believed that there had to be something more to life than dying daily and destroying anything and everything I put my hands on. My mom had always told me about Christ growing up and deep down in my numb heart, I knew He was the one I needed and that He is the one I was called to be with.

Bright Outlook: My entire life has been changed--my thought processes, self-image, my personality, my hope, joy, and love have been and are being restored. Most of all I am pressing into a true, loving and intimate relationship with God. I plan on working for Youth for Christ and finding my place that God has set apart for me in His ministry.

Encouragement to Others: Get spriritually strong and fed by clinging to God, reading the Word, staying plugged in to church and most of all--pray to God in humility.



Wow, to hear the words of my son...
This has been a long and very hard journey, but I want to encourage everyone to never give in, never give up, and never never never underestimate the Power of God!

Comments

Unknown said…
To see the boy that we know and love so much turn his life around is so encouraging to me.There are so many out there that are hurting and rebelling and being self-destructive. I know that God is going to use Shelby in a mighty way to help bring many of them out of the ditch and set them on higher ground...I love you Shelby and I am so proud of you...

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Weekend!

Homeschooling Fun