From Bitter to Better

My earlier post came about because of a recent bible study. I was studying the book of Ruth last week. I love Ruth. This time though, I studied from Naomi's point of view.
Here are some notes from my journal.

Oh Naomi, how much more closely I can relate to you right now than Ruth. I've always liked the book of Ruth...from Ruth's perspective. Looking at this story from a different point of view has been eye-opening.
First of all, when life came tumbling down around her, Naomi did two things that are not acceptable in church circles. She changed her name from 'Pleasantness' to 'Bitterness', and she blamed God.

(Naomi answered the people, "Don't call me Naomi [pleasant]. Call me Mara [bitter], because the Almighty has made my life very sad. When I left, I had all I wanted, but now, the LORD has brought me home with nothing...)

BUT, God was about to move in her life in ways she had never dreamed! God had already set in motion His plan of redemption. The hero, Boaz, was there all along. God had also placed loyal hardworking Ruth in Naomi's life.
The characters in this wonderful next chapter of Naomi's life were in place. Boaz was Naomi's wealthy relative. Ruth was Naomi's trusting, walking-by-faith daughter.
We never know just who God has placed in our lives for moments when our story is about to take a dramatic twist in plot!

Naomi had counted her losses, blamed God, and become bitter. She had decided to leave Moab and her widowed daughters-in-law behind to return to Judah. She had received news that the famine was over there (in Judah) and so decided to return amongst her own people. I guess she decided her life was over, but at least she would die amongst her own people---and maybe she wouldn't starve.
Even though she was bitter it was like she was just making the best of her hopeless situation. She had given up on all the dreams of her life. Basically she had just decided to return home, give up, and die in her bitterness.
She felt she was too old---too much time had passed---her losses were too great for anything good to come of her life...

Oh how I know that thought process! I can relate to the bitterness of Naomi. Life didn't pan out just exactly the way I planned. My dreams have felt dead and unredeemable. I have at times decided to just live out the remainder of my life as it is. Total loss of control. I too have felt too old--- like too much time has passed---like my losses were too great for anything good to come of my life...
I chose for a time to feel bitter. I also blamed God. 

But just like Naomi---God has already planned the next chapter of my life. He already has the characters, props, and plot set in motion.
All I have to do is walk through the pages of my life obediently, like Ruth and Naomi. God is about to move in my life in ways I never dreamed.
And for the record, while I wallowed in my self-pity, God never left my side!
I love you Jesus!

*This was written with the assumption that you are familiar with the book of Ruth. If you don't know this awesome story of God's powerful redemption, please read it!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!