What's In a Name???

I spent some time this morning looking up the meaning of some names. It was a very interesting search. I believe there is alot of truth in a person's name. There are many places in the bible that God gave people and places specific names with a purpose. I used baby name books when naming my children, but honestly I didn't choose their names by meaning. I just chose names I liked. Even if I didn't use wisdom in my choices I still believe God put his strong influence in the decision making process.

My children's names very much fit their personalities.
Courtney Ann = from the court; gracious
Shelby Dean = sheltered; leader
Kaitlyn Noel = pure; joy
Kyla Cheyenne = lovely; tribal name
(aka lovely wild Indian)
Aubree Grace = noble, bright; grace of God
(aka elf ruler)

While searching I also looked up my husband's name.
Randy Eugene = handsome; well born

and mine..
Ruler; gracious

Sounds like my family. Sometimes there seems like 'too many chiefs and not enough indians' around here. Other days I'm completelyhumbled that God placed such strong personalities in one home.
I couldn't imagine them having any other name than the one that God gave them.


*As an interesting side-note try looking up names of the people you encounter. It may give you a better perspective of their personality. I did. I discovered that a particular person who has attempted to be a thorn in my side has an interesting name-meaning.
(rival; striving; admiring; industrious)
Hmmm, Ruler vs. Rival? Seems like there was a pre-determined outcome...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!