How We Homeschool

I'm not totally sure what this says about me (or the rest of my family), but it took a move across Texas to help us find a way to regroup. I'm also not sure what this says about us since this isn't the first time a major move has been necessary to jump start a major family regrouping. Perhaps we are a stubborn people...? We are currently reading through A Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos. In my opinion, this is THE best children's Bible in story form, available. Don't be deceived by the title. Each time we read through it I find new treasures to look up in my King James Version. Little tidbits of detail that I may have overlooked just seem to jump off the pages. I find myself asking, "Does the Bible really say that?" So far, I have not found an inaccuracy. This book is not just for children. I have bought several forms of Bible curriculum for my kids in our last fifteen years of homeschooling. I find myself drawn to this book year after year. This year of regrouping has called for a more simple way of living. The Child's Story Bible is one way we have simplified our Bible time. We are simply reading the Bible. I don't have to beg for discussion afterwards. Narration naturally happens. Retention naturally happens when they "tell back" what we read. I love when God speaks to us through his Word. We are definitely not the first "stubborn people" in history. I can relate to wandering in the desert as the Israelites did so long ago. Murmuring and complaining? Yep. Not being able to see the forest for the trees? Uh huh. God's awesome provision through it all? Absolutely. As I said, this year we are simply reading through the Bible. We are letting the Spirit of God lead our discussions. Narration is informally included. This may be oral, written, or expressed through artwork.  This is the foundation upon which we build our homeschool. *Each of my daughters also have their own personal devotional book. Aubree is reading, The Power of a Praying Kid by Stormie O'Martian. Kyla is reading Elizabeth George's A Young Woman After God's Own Heart. Kaitlyn uses on an online devotional, and I am reading A Mom After God's Own Heart. In the near future I will discuss other books, curriculum, and methods we have used for Bible time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!