New School Year in March

Sometimes you just have to mix it up a bit.

After admittedly stumbling through this school year, we are making some big changes. I have tried this and that, with nothing really feeling just right.

The funny thing is...
I always tend to go right back to where my heart was all along.

When we first started homeschooling, many moons ago, I read a lot about the Charlotte Mason Method. Even though we stray occasionally, we always include some aspects of this teaching method. For example, narration is always a part of whatever curriculum we may be using.

I've bounced around with unit studies, textbooks, ect. without really getting excited about any of it. The girls have recently been even less enthused.  I'm not happy with what has seemed to be a floundering year.

Then, just as I had determined to just muddle through, making the best of the remainder of this school year, I happened upon an old friend.
Ambleside Online!
Not only is this curriculum everything I love, it is planned for me. My brain just doesn't want to think that hard this far into the year! When I used AO years ago the Kindle wasn't even invented. Now, not only can you purchase a lot of the books on Kindle, a great number of them are FREE!!! My husband will be so happy. He knows all about my homeschool burnout and how I can make irrational curriculum purchases at the end of the year. (just in time for homeschool bookfairs!)
Another plus to switching to AO is the fact that years of irrational homeschool shopping has stocked my bookshelves with several of the titles I will be needing.
Seems like a win win situation.

We will happily begin our studies tomorrow morning. I won't even let those few needed books stop me. We will just start with what we have, adding what we need as we go.

I've even started pre-reading Aubree's literature selection, Robinson Crusoe. I hope to stay a couple of chapters ahead of her.

AO is divided into three terms each year. We will complete Term 1 by the end of May. At that point we will take a small break and then finish Term 2 by the end of summer. Even though it may seem strange, we will begin Term 3 in September. The plan is to just move forward through to the next level.

I hope to report back with some success stories!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!