In the Kitchen

The website I can't get enough of this week is...
100 days of real food

Oh my goodness!

If you want to eat real or whole foods, this is a good place to start. Having been a "whole foods family" in the past, I have been able to skim some of the how-to get started articles while learning a lot of new information at the same time.

Eating healthy can be a challenge at times. Mostly getting started is a challenge. Once you make up your mind and stock up on a few staple items, eating healthy can become second nature. You do have to be willing to research, experiment, and if you aren't a gazillionare...you have to be willing to cook from scratch!

Some successful recipes I have tried this week:
  • egg salad (I know... this is simple. I have fresh eggs from our new chickens though, and had to list it.)
  • banana pancakes with maple syrup (yum! these were a hit and I froze the leftovers for an easy breakfast later this week)
  • Honey Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread (wonderful! I baked this in my bread machine)
  • crockpot fajitas (cooking and smelling delicious as I type)
  • Jambalaya (I tweaked her recipe a bit but kept it real. Also doubled the recipe and froze one for a quick dinner one night soon)

I also attempted to make homemade corn tortillas. I even purchased a tortilla press to help make them thinner and round. I have to admit, I'm not a great tortilla maker. They tasted great, but they were ugly and fell apart. I think it just takes practice. I will master these! I hope.
Meanwhile, I will use those ugly tortillas to make an enchilada casserole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!