Two Pet Day (not in a good way)

Today, on January 3rd, I finally had my black eyed peas. It's a good thing I don't really believe those little legumes give good luck. On the other hand, we did have a pretty "unlucky" January 2nd.
I arrived home around 10 am. I had chaperoned a lock in for my newly turned 15 year old daughter and 20 or so of her closest friends. Needless to say I was beyond exhausted. I took a very short lived nap and was startled awake by the horrific screams of my 9 year old. (not a pleasant awakening!) She had accidentally left the dog and uncaged bird inthe same room unattended. A catastrophic event can take place in mere fractions of a second. The dog (Pancho) only reacted with his God-given animal instinct. The bird (Piper) never saw him coming.
To make matters worse, little Piper was determined to live, in spite of his half eaten condition.
Pancho was never supposed to be an indoor pet anyway. He made his inevitable trip to the animal shelter. We were assured that he would be adopted very quickly.
Piper was later buried with a small funeral service.
Thus making January 2nd, 2010 a two pet day.
My 9 year old suffered a huge heartbreak. Probably her worst so far.
Her beloved pets can never be replaced in her heart, but there is enough love to share with a new friend. Today her dad took her to buy a new parakeet. Her name is Sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!