Finished and Future Projects

I am hoping to get some pictures of my latest projects up today...later. I have finished a baby quilt and Courtney's quilt. The baby quilt was just an idea that I had. It doesn't have a "home" as of yet. It is girly and I don't know of any new girl babies. I'm sure it will find a new baby soon.
Courtney's quilt is already four years old. She hand-pieced the quilt front when she was eighteen. It is several nine-patch squares.
During our latest move, I found it folded in her closet as I was packing. Having only recently starting to quilt, I thought I would attempt to finish it for her. I consulted with her on the colors for the back. As usual, the artist wanted something I never would have thought of. The front is black and hot pink. What did she want for backing? Orange. I didn't doubt her, but I never would have thought of o-r-a-n-g-e!
It didn't turn out to be a perfect squarish-rectangular quilt, but I love it. She, at twenty-two can now be the proud owner of a quilt that she and I both made. It also happens to be each of our first quilt! I have quilted a wallhanging and some baby size quilts, but this is my first full size quilt.
Even though she has watched the progress all along, it will be wrapped and given as a Christmas gift to her this year. My kids are very hard to surprise. I do plan to add a little coordinating pillow from the fabric scraps. She never reads my blog so I should be able to sneak that in.
I have another mother/daughter project in the works. Kyla and I will be making a Christmas quilt. A while back I found an old hand-pieced quilt top in an antique store. It looks like something my grandmother would have made. I love it. I found some flannel Christmas fabric in Saver's last week. Kyla has agreed to help me quilt it using the hand-tying method.
Aubree has a great love for embroidering, so she and I will probably come up with some kind of embroidery/quilting project.
I don't know when I will be able to talk Kaitlyn into helping me quilt something, but I would love to do this with all four of them at some point!

Edited to add:
Yesterday I crossed my fingers and threw Courtney's quilt in the washer with a Shout color grabber (just in case!). There was minimal running of dye. Not enough to be a problem. On the other hand, some of my "quilting" came loose! I hand tied a portion (about 1/3) with yarn. I'm so glad I didn't wrap this gift without washing first! Today I will re-do it using a more secure method of tying. Then I will post pictures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!