A Chicken and Two Loaves

I've been enjoying my kitchen lately. Unusual in this hot weather, but we have to eat. I've pulled out the crockpot a few times. I also pulled out the bread maker. So far we had crockpot roasted chicken, roasted Brussels sprouts, and crusty bread the first night. I then tossed the bones back in the crockpot with a few veggies and filled with water. This slow cooked overnight to make some awesome chicken stock. After freezing an ice cube tray full, a pint jar, and two half pint jars, I added the rest to my large Dutch oven. I sautéed onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in a little olive oil, then added that to my stock. I threw in most of what was left of the deboned chicken and a half bag of egg noodles. Topped off with some salt, pepper, and a little Italian seasoning, this is a wonderfully flavorful chicken noodle soup. So much is leftover after a Sunday lunch with more of our crusty bread, we will probably have soup again...twice. I still have some deboned chicken that will make a nice lunch of chicken salad sandwiches on more of our homemade bread.

So far, with one whole chicken and two loaves of homemade bread...
FIVE MEALS!!!
(Roast chicken, chicken noodle soup x3, chicken salad sandwiches)
Plus, I shared half a loaf of bread with my daughter and I have chicken stock in the freezer for future meals.
If you ask me, that's a pretty good return on a chicken and two loaves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Fun

Picnic Blanket

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling