Unshakable Faith


I'm walking in one of those shifty places at the moment, just trying to find some firm footing.
It's one of those spots that I'm grasping at the correct way to handle.
It has never bothered me to do things differently than others. My choices in life are sometimes a little unconventional. I'm certainly not the only person I know who homeschools, but I was when we started. I'm certainly not the only woman who has given birth at home. Women have been doing so since the beginning. On the other hand, it wasn't something all my friends were doing. They all thought I had lost my mind.
Trusting God sounds so simple. It is and it's not. I know what He has promised. I see Him working before my very eyes. I know that He can make something beautiful from ashes. He has shown me time and time again.
If you ask me to trust God with you for something He has promised, I will. I'll believe with an unshakable faith. For you.
Why do I sometimes find it hard when it's for me?
God blessed me with an amazing set of arrows (children). They are unique individuals. I'm not trying to give myself any credit here but God has shown me from the beginning how to let them be who He created.
He gave them each a very unique calling. They will reach this dying world in ways I could never imagine. He has lovingly and gently guided me in their upbringing.
I have not always handled this huge task in the way I was called. I have had to overcome some obstacles of my own. Mostly...fear.
God did not give me a spirit of fear though. This is what makes me press on.
When you put a child in God's hands you have to do it continually. I have at times been my own biggest critic. The self-dialog goes something like this...

"You gave this child to God so why do you keep taking him/her back?"

I'm learning that this is not exactly the case. I'm not 'taking them back'. They were already His. My worry (aka FEAR) sometimes tries to interfere with His plan though.

I'm facing a trial with a child at this very moment. I'm trusting God but I'm a little shaky. I know the outcome will be as God has planned.
I don't want to interfere with the way God moves. I've been careful with my words. I've probably projected my fears unto my husband. We haven't disagreed on how to handle this situation but I've told him 'my plan'. Yuck.
God didn't make just me a parent. He made us both parents. I need to trust God with my husband's parenting. He loves this child just as much as I do!

God has given me my answer. Respect my husband as my children's father. God will guide him in the decisions he makes. He made us partners in life. When I'm on shaky ground I have someone who will stand with me in faith. No one other than God Himself can love this child as we do.

If my husband sees one of our children in a situation that could be harmful I need to trust his insight. He was appointed by God to protect his family.

Who you allow to be in authority over your children can have huge consequences. Who you allow them to spend time with can have huge consequences. God expects us to teach them and protect them. Even when they think a situation is harmless. Otherwise, kids would be making all the decisions.
It's hard when you feel like you have to make a decision for them that will break their heart. It's hard when you see danger and they don't.

I can recall a bible lesson we had years ago. The lesson explained how God put children under an umbrella of protection. While under the authority of their parents they were safe. Stepping outside this umbrella allowed the fiery darts of Satan to penetrate them.
God in all his wisdom doesn't make mistakes. He places families together for His purpose.
Thank you Jesus for your umbrella of protection through the storms of life. Thank you for every member of my family.
As I close this post I'm already feeling the firm footing of standing on the Rock.
Thank you God for giving me an awesome husband and father of my children. Alone this decision is hard, but together we can believe, with faith unshakable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!