On Being A Mom

I've started a new Bible study this morning. This study will last all summer. I'll be following a simple method (S.O.A.P.) This method was introduced to me through a blog I love to read. The study is based on Proverbs 31. This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. I have done numerous studies on Proverbs 31 in the past. I ALWAYS learn something new.   

 The new study started this morning with the first 2 verses of Proverbs 31. I'm pretty familiar with this entire passage so I felt like today would be a slow start. The first 2 verses are more of an introduction...so I thought. God definitely met me in a big way this morning.

 As I read and copied the verses in my new notebook, a couple of thing really stood out. King Lemuel's mother is having a heart to heart with her child. This is her child. This is the child she gave birth to. This is the child she vowed to bring up in the way of the Lord. The bond between mother and child is not something to take lightly.

 As any mom knows, the bond begins the moment you discover you are pregnant. The realization that God has entrusted you with a new life is a feeling that is hard to explain. This little soul was placed in your womb and God has given you His instruction Book to raise him up in the way he should go.

 Overwhelming. Me God? Really? I trust You God, but let's face it...I have soooo much to learn myself! The weight of this gift is felt physically as your body expands for 9 months. The weight is felt for a lifetime emotionally and spiritually as you know how very precious this child is to God.

 The level of devotion King Lemuel's mom had toward her son is something we mom's can relate to. This raising of children job may very well be the most important assignment of our lives. It may also the most difficult job of our lives. This is not to say raising children is without joy! What I do realize at this stage in my life is that this job also requires an enduring love. A fierce love. This is not a love that never knows pain.

This child is yours. This is the child of your womb. This is the child of your vow.

 A mother/child relationship can endure severe pain and never cease to love. Amazing. We may not always like our children's actions, but we love them nonetheless. Thank you God for loving me. As I fall short of Your glory, I understand that You never stop loving me.

 I've learned this because I am a mom.

 Even though I at times hurt Your heart, You will war for me, intercede for me, and absolutely never give up on me.

 I've learned this because I am a mom.

 I may not like to hear every piece of advice You give me. You may ask me to do things I don't want to do.

But, because I am a mom, I know that You only want what is best for me. You intend for me good and not harm, all the days of my life.

 These are the things I have learned about Your character because you allowed me to love my kids with a fierce love.

 Thank You Jesus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Our Tenth Year of Homeschooling

Homeschooling Fun

Weekend!